Get your home ready for Fall!
Autumn brings a lot to look forward to, gorgeous leaves, football games, not to mention pumpkin spice EVERYTHING. With the official first day of fall arriving, it’s the perfect time to get some things around your house ready for whatever the season brings! Use this change of seasons as a springboard to get your home ready for the change in the weather.
Here are some general home maintenance items you should take care of:
- Schedule annual maintenance for your heating system.
- If you have a fireplace, make an appointment to have your chimney cleaned and/or inspected.
- The change of seasons is a great time to replace air filters.
- Check your boiler for leaks. Take care of small leaks as soon as you become aware of them to avoid a small issue from becoming a big one.
- Look at your washer. Look for cracks in the hose and if you have a plastic hose, consider an upgrade to a braided metal hose. Also peek at the drip pan. If it is cracked, consider having it replaced. American Alarm can add Environmental Alerts to your security system. Water Sensors alert you if there are leaks so that you can take care of the problem right away! If you want to learn more head here: https://american-alarm.com/residential/adding-environmental-alerts-security-system-provide-peace-mind/
- Examine your window and door seams for cracks in the caulking. If you find old or dried out caulking, you may want to have it replaced. This will help to prevent drafts and save you money on your utility bills.
To prevent a fire in your home, take care of these fire prevention tips:
- Clear the space around your indoor HVAC equipment. Clutter around HVAC equipment a fire hazard.
- Clean your dryer of lint, not just the filter but also the vent hose. Dryer lint is one of the leading causes of house fires, so making sure your dryer is free of as much lint as possible is important.
- Make sure you have a fully charged fire extinguisher on every floor of your home and make sure everyone in your home knows how to use it.
Head outside and take care of these items:
- Survey your roof for damage. If you can safely do so, check your roof for loose or damaged shingles and call in a professional to make any repairs.
- Clean your gutters & downspouts. Remove any debris so that all water can be properly diverted away from your home.
- If you have cameras, check to be sure there is no debris blocking their view.
- Trim back any bushes and trees that could be blocking the camera views or possibly create a hiding spot for burglars.
- Change any bulbs in your outdoor lighting. A well-lit home is a safe home.
If taking care of these items brings up any issues related to your home security system, please give us a call at 845-564-3763. We would be happy to answer your questions and help you find resolution!